North St. John’s Swim and Tennis Club was established in 1964 at the end of Marydell Road in Ellicott City, Maryland. The eight acres of land was a gift by surrounding neighbors to start a local swim club. NSJ celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 2014, and has worked hard to maintain the original appeal of the Club, while also modernizing with each passing decade.
NSJ is run by a volunteer Board of Directors. There are six Executive Board positions and seven Directors that work year-round to ensure the facility is cared for, events and activities are organized, and that every member’s experience remains excellent. In 2017, the Board hired American Pool, a full service commercial pool management company, to oversee the maintenance, management, and staffing during the summer season.
NSJ consists of 450 bond-holding families, and primarily draws from the immediate Ellicott City area which includes 5 elementary schools (Hollifield, St. John’s Lane, Waverly, West Friendship and Manor Woods), 2 middle schools (Patapsco and Mount View), 2 high schools (Mt. Hebron and Marriott’s Ridge) and 1 private school (Resurrection). We are honored to have some founding members and their younger generations as part of the NSJ family!
Over the past 15 years, the Board has invested in numerous upgrades to the pool and surrounding grounds. Some of the most significant projects include:
- 2008: Renovated the Club House to include a full-service snack bar, ADA accessible restrooms, an office and front desk/check-in area.
- 2011: Updated the entire pool infrastructure and surrounding deck.
- 2012 – 2017: Replaced all of the pool tiles and pool covers, painted the Club House, and installed new roofing on the club house, shed, and grilling gazebo.
- 2018: Contracted with Rhine Landscaping to add an extensive drainage system to the lower grass area and repair damage from the historic Ellicott City flood.
- 2019: Installed a new pool filtration system as well as an automated water chemistry controlled to regular the pool 24 hours a day.
- 2018 – 2020: Implemented and expanded Member Splash, a pool-specific software system to manage our member base and waitlist, build our website, assist with staffing, and limit financial transactions at the pool.
- 2021 – 2023: Purchased umbrellas and bases, pool furniture, picnic tables, and a Gaga Ball pit, as well as updated the restroom floors, resolved plumbing issues, and overhauled the pavilion.
NSJ received the Best of Howard County award in 2013, 2014, 2021, and 2022! We were an honorable mention in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
NSJ has always been a family oriented, and community focused Club. Our goal is to make summers a little sweeter for our wonderful members.
See you poolside!